Eyelash extensions are individual, semi-permanent mink lashes that are attached one by one to your individual lashes. Extensions are perfect for everyday wear and especially for special occasions. A person naturally sheds 1 to 5 natural lashes every day. Therefore, it is necessary to get touch-ups to fill the spaces. Aftercare instructions are discussed at the appointment
How do I prepare for my lash appointment?
- Do not wear contact lenses to your appointment (or bring the container & solution with) as they need to be removed for the duration of your appointment
- Do not wear mascara or ANY eye makeup to your appointment.
- If you are coming directly from work with makeup on, please notify us so that we can add additional time to your booking for makeup removal prior to proceeding with the lash application.
- Avoid oil based products around or on the eye area
- It is also a good idea to avoid caffeine or any type of stimulants 5 hours prior to your appointment – due to involuntary eye movements – which will make isolating lashes more challenging.
Will they damage my natural eyelashes?
Eyelash extensions in general, should not damage your natural eyelashes. The method which eyelash extensions are applied varies greatly. As licensed professionals we are careful to choose extensions which are not too heavy or too long for your natural lashes. Please be mindful: if you’ve had long or heavy extensions applied by another salon, they will eventually cause damage to your natural lash and you eventually may not be able to wear extensions. At Vanity Studio, we care about the health of your natural lash and will NEVER apply a long or heavy extensions that will damage your natural lashes.
How often should I come in for a refill?
We recommend you have your lashes filled every 2 – 3 weeks. Some clients may wish to have them filled weekly so that their lashes are always on point, full and fresh. If you wait too long your extensions will fall out and you will require a full set. Factors such as exposure to humidity, steam or touching your eyes a lot may cause the extensions to fall quicker or prematurely. Refills can take from 45 – 60 minutes, depending on the state of your remaining lashes. How long the lashes last all depend on your natural lash life cycle, skincare routine and following aftercare.
My daughter wants lash extensions. Are they safe for teenagers?
Yes! Extensions are safer for your lashes than the water-proof mascara that many teens choose to wear. Removing water-proof mascara requires having to rub eyes and use lots of makeup remover – which damages lashes and breaks them off.
Am I a Candidate for eyelash extensions?
Eyelash extensions are a wonderful addition to your beauty routine. We are primarily concerned for the health of your natural lashes and want to be certain you meet the following criteria:
- Your eyes are free of any signs or symptoms of infection
- Your eyes have fully recovered from recent eye surgeries or procedures
- You are comfortable lying down for a few hours for the duration of appointment
Consult your physician if you are pregnant and / or have medical conditions, in recovery from treatments, taking medications or have allergies.
Considering the items above, there may be some candidates, who experience the following factors which MAY NOT be candidates for eyelash extension services:
- Those who rub their eyes frequently –if this is from allergies or out of habit.
- Have pre-existing eyelid or eye conditions such as blepharitis and ocular rosacea.
- Are very rough with themselves and do not want to follow after care instructions.
- Want a very heavy mascara look but do not have the natural lashes to support it.
- Have a condition called Trichotillomania, which is compulsive pulling or twisting of hair or eyelashes.
- Are in chlorinated water many times a week.
- Those who have highly sensitive skin – as this service may cause more reactions in certain candidates.
- If you are ill or currently have allergies – if you have a cold, sinus infection, bronchitis, or flu, etc. please stay home and get well. No worries, we can reschedule your appointment for a time when you are feeling well.
- If your natural lashes are very curly – unfortunately as your natural lash grows in, the extension will lay in an unnatural direction. This may be more irritating for you, and because of this excess “wear” on the lash, the extensions will not last as long.
- If you don’t have natural eyelashes – our extensions are placed on a natural lash; and we need your natural lash to be healthy and strong enough to support an extension. Unlike using other lash processes such as a strip or flares, we cannot create lashes where there aren’t any.
- If you have an allergy to cyanoacrylate. What is cyanoacrylate? Well, if back in the day you used to have acrylic nails and developed an allergy, it is likely it was from cyanoacrylate.
I do not have eyelashes, can I wear eyelash extensions?
Clients who do not have natural eyelashes unfortunately are not candidates for our service. In order to apply extensions, we need a minimum length of your natural lash to secure the extension. If you have any questions or concerns, we absolutely can schedule a consultation.
How long do they last?
Each eyelash extension lasts for the natural life of the eyelash cycle. We generally lose between 3-5 natural lashes a day, though we do not notice them – However, when you are wearing eyelash extensions, you will become more aware of how many you are shedding. Most clients, depending on their natural growth cycle, preferring a fuller lash line, schedule their appointments every 2 weeks for their touch-up appointment. This will ensure a fuller appearance. Whereas other clients have a slower growth cycle and can maintain their extensions with a fill-in every 3 weeks.
Much of how long they last depends on how you care for them at home. This includes eye-make-up choices, cleansers etc.
Can I use eyelash curler?
No, this will damage your lashes if you have extensions on.
How long does the appointment take?
Lash extensions are applied while you are lying down with your eyes closed on a comfortable spa bed in a serene setting. This usually takes about 1.5 to 2 hours for a full set of lashes, all depending on how many lashes you have. After prepping your lashes, your bottom lashes are protected with a gel eye pad, lash extensions are then applied 1-to-1 with a medical grade adhesive. It is a really relaxing, non-invasive treatment and most of our clients take the time to catch up on their beauty sleep!
How soon before an event should I have eyelash extensions done?
If you’ve never had eyelash extensions applied before then we recommend booking a full-set 2 weeks before your special occasion / event or departure date at the latest. And then to book a fill 2 – 3 days before the event. This will allow time to get use to the lashes, learn proper aftercare and ensure there are no allergies to the product. Booking a month in advance plus 2 fills before the date would be an ideal situation. If you already have lash extensions then we recommend 2 to 5 days before that special event or vacation. This insures acute curing time for the bonding agent (which can take up to 48 hours) and the freshest possible look for the lashes.
I have sensitivities to makeup and / or other beauty products / services, can I still have eyelash extensions done?
If you have any eye sensitivities we do recommend you to book an appointment for a ‘Patch Test’ first. During this appointment we will have a consultation with you and apply a small amount of product to your eyelashes or sensitive skin to test whether you are a good candidate for the service.
What happens if an extension loosens or becomes dislodged?
DO NOT PULL or pick on the lash. Contact your lash technician and make an appointment to have them replaced, to avoid damage to your own natural lash. Please DON’T try and reapply the fallen lash/s with any adhesives, this will only result in damage to your own lashes.
Can I wear my regular makeup once I have eyelash extensions?
Consistent application of mascara and eyeliner may reduce the life span of your extensions and require more frequent refills. IF using mascara, use water-soluble mascara only and apply only to the tips of the lashes. It is not recommended to use oil based makeup, makeup remover or water proof mascara.
Can I swim, shower or exercise while wearing eyelash extensions?
Yes. The bonding agent we use is waterproof and allows you to shower, swim, and exercise. HOWEVER, we recommend that you do not wash your eye area for at least 24 hours after the initial eyelash extension application. This allows the bonding agent to fully dry and prolong the life of your extensions.
What happens if I choose to have my eyelash extensions removed?
We do offer a service to have the extensions removed involving a short thirty-minute appointment in which we apply a gel remover. The gel remover is applied on top of the extensions without touching the skin and allowed to sit for 10 minutes. Once the adhesive is dissolved the extensions are gently wiped away with lint free applicators exposing the natural lashes.
A lash lift is a treatment that enhances your natural lashes by lifting them from the root, creating a natural looking curl; giving the illusion of longer lashes and making the eyes appear more open. Lash lifts are suitable for short or long lashes and creates a perfect curl every time. Treatment is about 45-60min. This is a great option for anyone who is not quite ready for eyelash extensions.
How do I need to prep for the treatment?
Please come in MAKEUP FREE. If you wear contacts, they must be removed.
Will the Lash Lift damage my natural lashes?
No. Your lash procedure will be performed with the utmost care and proper technique. The product never touches the skin during the process. Redness around the eye may occur due to the product removal process (wiping the eyes with cotton rounds) but should disappear within a few minutes after the procedure.
I have sensitivities to makeup and/or other beauty products/services, can I still have eyelash extensions done?
If you have any eye sensitivities we do recommend you to book an appointment for a ‘Patch Test’ first. During this appointment we will have a consultation with you and apply a small amount of product to inner part of your elbow, where skin the skin is sensitive, to test whether you are a good candidate for the service.
Can I use an eyelash curler?
No. There will be no need for an eyelash curler as this treatment gives a much better result than using a curler, But more importantly, using one may weaken and damage your lashes.
Am I a good candidate for lash lift and / or tint?
Eyelash Lift & Tint MAY NOT be suitable for clients that:
- Pregnant. If you have an appointment and found out that you are pregnant, please contact me right away and we can reschedule
- Have very little natural eyelashes or have nothing. The gaps between your lashes will be more noticeable
- Have pre-existing eye (lid) conditions such as chronic dry eye, blepharitis, conjunctivitis and ocular rosacea
- Lasik surgery (wait a minimum of 6 months from your procedure)
- Have Trichotillomania (compulsive pulling or twisting hair, eyebrows and eyelashes)
- Have very sensitive eyes or possible allergies to adhesive (recommended to book an appointment for a patch test)
- Who are rough with their lashes
- Undergoing chemo treatments or have had chemo treatments within the past year (recommend to consult with your physician)
- Are sensitive or have allergies to dyes (recommended to book an appointment for a patch test)
- Had blepharoplasty surgery (must wait a minimum of 1 year after your surgery)
How long will the Eyelash Lift appointment take?
About 45 – 60 minutes depends on how long and coarse the eyelashes are.
I have short lashes. Am I able to still do this procedure?
Most of the time, yes. Though it can be challenging if the lashes aren’t even long enough to bring up and back on to the shield. But I say, give it a shot once and see how you do!
Is this like lash extension where they will look dramatically thicker?
Lash extensions and lash lifts are 2 totally different treatments. I will not be adding any additional lashes to you during this treatment. I will simply be curling your natural lashes. That said, for most, it can make your lashes appear fuller because they are lifted.
Can I wear makeup after my lash lift?
Yes but it is advised that you leave your lashes untouched for at least 24 hours after your treatment. You may find that there is no need for mascara anyway, but if you wish to make your lashes even fuller, a non-waterproof mascara is advised as the removal of waterproof mascaras can be harsh on the lashes and weaken the lift.